Thursday 15 October 2015

Firelight

When I saw that this week's Craft Barn challenge was "Light" it was the perfect prompt to get out a kit I purchased at the Craft Barn over a year ago and get it made. It is a Tando Creative kit designed by Karen Gist called Christmas Fireplace. So, my interpretation of light is firelight.


Can you see the tea light flickering in the grate? Obviously it is not a real tea light it is a battery operated one, this piece is made of chipboard and we don't want disasters in the home do we.

I used a Fresco finish and Decoart mixed media paints to paint all the chipboard pieces. I added some doodling with a white pen on the baubles and stockings and glitter of course. There is a bit of distress ink on the bunting over the fireplace as well, I stencilled the stars. For the wood effect on the fireplace I used coffee archival ink and a Kaisercraft woodgrain stamp.

Here's another photo taken outside.

Now you can see the glossy accents on the "Christmas" word and the berries. My favourite bit of this project is the tiling. These pieces were painted with Decoart Cadmium Red mixed media paint with some gold interference paint added on top and finished off with a bit of treasure gold.

A close up of the tiles:

See the little tea light inside, I picked up a pack of three for £1 from the Pound Shop.
I had great fun with this project and am proud of myself for finally getting it made.


8 comments:

  1. What a fun piece to have about the house with the festive season on the now not so distant horizon!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very cool yule. What was that old Talking Heads song? Burning Down the House!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll be a fabulous centre piece on the Christmas table! I too love the tiles but also the wood effect on the chimney. Great make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is lovely!! Thank you for joining in The Craft Barn Challenge.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect challenge to make up the kit. I love the way you have captured the glow from the fire on the hearth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julia! Love your little fireplace, the wood effect, tiles and holly are gorgeous, I bet it looks even more gorgeous in real life. Have a lovely weekend. Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! Love the warmth of your festive hearth - this is adorable!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete