Sunday 9 July 2017

Craft Barn Twelve Month Challenge : July

The July verse for the Craft Barn Twelve Month Challenge is :

Hot July brings cooling showers,
Apricots and gillyflowers.

We have to include a gillyflower so I googled gillyflower just to be sure. A gillyflower is a medieval term for any fragrant summer flower but typically refers to dianthus or carnation. So I used my Tim Holtz sketchy flowers for this page, I think they are carnations.


I started with distress ink on the background, mainly blues but with some cracked pistachio thrown into the mix. Then some stamping and masking of the flower heads in the background, I wanted to leave them sketchy and add one flower head as a focal image coloured apricot. I used Promarkers to colour that one, cut it out and stuck it on the page. 
I wasn't too happy with the background as I wanted it to look summery but as if it had been raining or was about to rain. I added some distress oxides in faded jeans and broken china plus water spritzing and tried to drip it a bit from the top of the page. It doesn't show that well in the photo but there are some very fine drips. OK, happy with that now. Oxides are just so good!

7 comments:

  1. A great apricot gillyflower and the background looks lovely too! Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely page. thank you for joining The Craft Barn month Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at the background cools me down in this heat! Great tag, and I do like the way you have just coloured the one flower as the focal point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely tag. I agree the Oxides are great, especially for layering on top of other media. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pretty page. I am holding out against the Oxides but I think I will crumble soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sketchy look - so beautifully executed. Like Scrapmate I'm also resisting Oxides - I already have too much stash and no space left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how you've accented one flower head with colour - and I love the soft cloudy Oxide sky - definitely summer rain on the way!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete